DmM Support Forum
December 15, 2017, 12:07:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Import of single subject - problem with files  (Read 4755 times)
BoletteS
DmM Administrators - Not DK

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:29:18 pm »

I am importing some new subjects to a databse. The database is organized so that scanned files are in C:\sdbscan. When I import the subject, the files cannot be read. The error message is that the scanned file is in
D:\sdbscan\dns2008pt, which is the original location from the server that the subject was exported from.

I use overwrite and append, and get the same result when using overwrite and delete.
morten44
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:25:21 am »

Hi Bolette
Its not a known issue we have seen before

I guess that the original structure is that you have a root folder for the scanned files called C:\sdbscan or D:\sdbscan
Then inside here you have a sub folder for the scanned files for each of the database. Is that right?

Lets say you are importing a database with scanne files into D:\sdbscan\databasename

The subject you have imported should then automatically save all the scanned files in  that folder.

You say that when you want to test to see if the files are working they are not and it comes up saying "can not find files in D:\sdbscan\dns2008pt" and as I understand it, this is the original location where the files where before. Hope I got it right so far.
Its natural that it tries to look in the old location if it cant find the files in the new location.
Question is why is it not seeing the files in the new location.

Try to do the following:
1 Browse into the folder where the scanned files are and check that they all have an icon that its assosiated with an application.
That means .pdf should have an adobe icon. Text files should have a wordpad icon. All files should be assosiated with a program
Are they ?

2. Open SDB, enter in Amendement mode, open a task in the subject you have just imported. Go to the files and edit.
Check the name of the file.
Then browse into the folder with the scanned files for that database and search for that file name.
Is it there?

3. If it is there can you open it by clicking on it

4. Last thing would be to go into the IMPEX folder. File the file that contains the files
Normally it will be called something like CODENAME.XD2.file. Its the biggest of the files
Add .zip to the back of that file. (CODENAME.XD2.file.zip)
You can now unzip the folder and see all the files inside. Can you find that same file there?

5. As a temp fix, the files from the unzipped folder can be copy/pasted into the right scan library and it will work.
If course this is not a good permanet solution but a temporary fix

If you still stuck after this, get hold of me on Skype, send me the details and we can try to access it remotely

Kind Regards
Morten
BoletteS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:20:27 am »

You have understood the problem correctly.

I have tried to do what you say, but I still end up having to re-link the file. The file get the name d_sdbscan_2008scanpt_12079048.pdf, and then I have to go and find it in the new location. THEN it opens. But this is a lengthy process. Any other suggestion to a solution?

BR Bolette
BoletteS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:23:06 am »

On top of this problem, it seems we also have a problem with the export of some of the tasks.
One subject has not got all the scanned files that belong to the subject, or at least I cannot see them, using the method of changing to the zip file as advised.

Any suggestion to what we should try with this?

BR Bolette
morten44
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:57:07 pm »

Hi
I can see there is a fault here
In the latest version when exporting,the SDB change the name of the files to the whole path at the time of exporting.
The problem is that the reference towards the file in SDB does not change, so when asking for a file, sdb rename process has now changed it and cant find it!!

Is quite stupid I had not seen this in testing. It all worked here but that was because I was exporting existing tasks, deleting the subject and imporing it again. So when i tested i still had the originl files in the scan folder and therefore i worked.

I will get hold of the programer and see if he can have a look at it
Previous version of SDB should work well,accept if you have "code problem" in the database you are trying to Import/Export

I'll keep in touch

Regards
Morten

BoletteS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:38 pm »

Thank you - it is very important to get it solved quickly.
We are going to launch a new version of the database for the Mozambican 1 year education, with all tasks completed, within one or two weeks.

And they both have to use the new version because of the coding issue, and they have to be able to read their files!

BR Bolette
morten44
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:55:53 pm »

Hi Bolette

We have not got a reply from the programer yet. We are trying to find a phone number so we can contact him that way.
Asger is on to that now

Regards
Morten
morten44
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:26:15 am »

We now are in contact with programmer. he has been away for some time.
Hopefully we have something from him within days.
(I am away for the next week, but Asger is around)

KH Morten
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: